Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A little bit of this and a little bit of that...and summer is starting!


First of all, my Hungarian fold art A is finally done and framed.  I love they way is looks. 
I'm hoping I can start on B soon.  See my process here 

My garden is growing so well!  I am harvesting zucchini, pattypan squash, kale, Hungarian wax peppers, green beans and herbs.  Soon I should have tons of tomatoes, radish and carrots to add to the list.  I've also found a volunteer vine of some sort, I think it's a melon...we will see.


Pattypan

Zucchini

Hungarian Wax Pepper and you can also see the big vine next to it which I think will be some kind of melon...or pumpkin?

I also planted a new rose bed.  This is a neglected area that gets strong afternoon sun, not a lot of water and has poor soil.  Unfortunately it's become our cats toilet more than anything else!  In an attempt to reclaim the area I though thorny rose bushes would do the trick.


  I have mostly hybrid tea roses in my garden so I was excited to plant 3 David Austin roses. They are so much nicer than that stinky patch of dirt.  I amended well with compost and so far the roses (and I) are pretty happy.  The cat is sort of bewildered...


As summer approaches I am gearing up my healthy eating and exercising.  One of my favorite new smoothies is based on a recipe from Harley Pasternak.


1/2 apple, cored
1/2 banana
5 almonds or cashews
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup greek yogurt
Enough milk to fill my blender cup - about 1/2 cup.  Can be any milk or milk substitute.

Blend and enjoy.  It tastes just like apple pie to me. 
Sometimes I also add a handful of spinach.  Just enough to add some greens but not enough to change the flavor.  Usually I can't even taste the spinach.


I've been really into mason jars.  Overnight oatmeal in a mason jar has become my staple breakfast, I don't have a picture but here is my go to recipe:

1/3 cup oats (not quick oats)
1 T chia seeds
1 T maple syrup
1/3 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup milk

Mix well and seal in a mason jar overnight.  In the morning I add some or all:
1/2 sliced banana
1 teaspoon raw cacao nibs
1 teaspoon chopped pecans

This is just my recipe but you can have fun creating your own.  There are hundreds of variations at your finger tips via Google.

I also chop salads up into large mason jars up to three days ahead and refrigerate.  I add protein like deli ham, hard boiled egg and the dressing when I am ready to eat.  I find it easier to make healthy choices for lunch when these are in the fridge ready to go.


 And last but not least, after months of neglecting my art, it's time to get the creative juices flowing because ICAD's and Summer of Color are starting! 
I loved the ICAD challenge last year.  See the roundup of what I did here.
And this year I am determined to keep up with Summer of Color, too.

Join me! 
Click below for more information:


http://daisyyellowart.com/icad/


http://www.twinkletwinklelikeastar.blogspot.com/








3 comments:

  1. I love your artwork!, the photos are terrific as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "A" I might have to steal your mason jar salad idea. Looks appealing to eat and easy to make ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your veggies are looking good. Great idea for salads!

    ReplyDelete