Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Roasted Rosemary Almonds



While most people are baking Christmas cookies, my go to holiday treat are Rosemary Almonds. I make these every year, sometimes to take as an appetizer to parties or to give as holiday gifts (as I did this year) and sometimes just because they are so darn yummy and I crave them.

 
Roasted Rosemary Almonds
 
2 cups raw, whole almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt



Spread almonds on baking sheet and roast in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, tossing almonds a occassionally.  I like my almonds a bit crunchy but you can toast for less time if you like.  While almonds are roasting melt butter in medium saucepan.  Remove from heat and add rosemary, brown sugar, cayenne pepper and cinnamon.  Add roasted almonds and toss to coat.  Cool slightly then add kosher salt and toss again. 


These are delicious served warm or room temperature and they can be stored in the freezer for longer life.  This year I made a HUGE batch (14 cups!) and was able to give out 10 gift bags and keep some for us to enjoy at home.   
 
Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas Rita!! Been great getting a peak into your homely little world. Looking forward to another year of great recipes and beautiful paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, I was at a neighborhood party a week or so ago and the hostess served Rosemary Cashews. I believe the recipe is essentially the same except I don't think hers had cinnamon. I made some from a recipe I found online and have almost made myself sick eating them. I'll have to try almonds too. They aren't as fattening as cashews.

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my Just Babies post. I can remember the feeling of loss when I took my daughter off to kindergarten for her first day. The good thing is that she came home each day. My heart hurts for all those moms whose little ones will never come home and won't be enjoying those gifts probably already under the tree. I think we all agree that something has to be done. I just hope someone can figure out what.

    ReplyDelete